A care home operator has been fined £270,000, after a resident of Lomond Court Care Home, Glenrothes, Fife (who suffered symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease) put chlorine tablets in his mouth and chewed them, leading to his death.
Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court heard how on 4 August 2015 a delivery of cleaning products was made to Lomond Court. These were left unattended in a corridor, in an unsealed box. In that box….
HC-ONE Limited of Southgate House, Archer Street, Darlington, County Durham, pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 3(1) and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and fined £270,000.
Nursing home in special measures after watchdog spots ‘signs of abuse’.
Experts from the CQC visited Eastcotts Care Home with Nursing in Calford Green Suffolk in April & discovered “institutional and unsafe practices” which they claim went “unnoticed and unchallenged” by senior staff.
Inspectors said physical intervention was sometimes used by staff members while others spoke to residents “very sternly and harshly” and told them to “sit down” or “sit”. More
Tooting care home company fined more than £100,000 for serious fire safety failings.
Gold Care Consultancy Ltd which ran a care home in South London has been fined £90,000 and ordered to pay £15,000 costs for breaching fire safety regulations following the death of a pensioner.
In January 2015, staff at Wood House Care Home were doing night time checks around the building when they heard cries for help from 78-yr old resident & discovered a fire in her room. She suffered from severe burns and sadly died from her injuries. More
The owner of the Newgrange Care Home in Cadmore Lane, Cheshunt, pleaded guilty to 5 offences against fire safety legislation after 2 residents died in a fire at the home in 2017.
An electrical fault caused a fire to break out which spread quickly to the roof space of the home. At the time 35 elderly residents were in the home, 30 were not independently mobile & 5 were over 100 years old.
33 residents were rescued by the fire service but tragically, 2 residents died.
Newgrange of Cheshunt admitted that they breached their duty imposed by fire safety law & that the breaches were such that they put the residents of the care home at risk of death or serious harm. The company was fined £175,000 concurrent and ordered to pay £170 victim surcharge. They will also have to pay reasonable prosecution costs but these are subject to further negotiation. More
The healthcare provider has been fined £300,000 & £65,801.38 costs for its failings following the death of a 14-year-old girl.
November 2012, she was found with a ligature around her neck in her room.
She was taken to hospital but had suffered irreparable brain damage & failure of multiple organs, so a decision was taken to withdraw life support.
She was sadly pronounced dead the following day.
An investigation by the HSE, following the coroner’s inquest, found Priory Healthcare Ltd had failed to identify or put in place control measures that would have better managed ligature risks.
Tapely care Home in Liverpool was prosecuted after it broke a series of fire safety regulations, and put its residents ‘at risk’.
Failures identified included: failing to maintain fire separation in cupboard ceilings, corridors walls, the ground floor store room and the basement; failing to provide ‘appropriate’ fire detectors and alarms; a failure to remove combustible materials from a means of escape; failure to provide an ‘adequate’ fire door with ‘appropriate’ safety strips and seals; a failure to ensure the facility was ‘subject to a suitable system of maintenance, in efficient working order & good state of repair’.
Despite this & the home’s guilty plea, due to ‘concerns about a very large fine having a detrimental impact on service users’ the fine was set at £6,000 plus costs. Read details